Wednesday, 30 May 2012 05:47
Don't bargain over positions !!!Getting to YES: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
That concept explains how positions are part of human beings and their integrity. They are not negotiable unless one of the two negotiators folds and accepts losing, but as no one negotiates to lose there is no point in bargaining over positions.
* Arguing over position produces unwise agreements.
o As more attention is paid to positions, less attention is devoted to meeting the underlying concerns of the parties. Agreement less likely.
* Arguing over position is inefficient.
* Arguing over position endangers an ongoing relationship.
* When there are many parties, positional bargaining is even worse.
* Being nice and giving in is no answer.
Published in Marketing